Tuesday 16 June 2009

Bitterness, 10" x 8", Acrylic on Canvas Board, 2009



This is another transformation, once again with no colour reference but just a love for painting the human face and a bit of experience from memory.

This was an Asian man I sketched on the the tube in February last year. He just had those perfect features that tell stories and while transforming him, I just enhanced them a bit to suggest the title of this painting. This piece was done in Acrylic with a slow dry medium, almost giving it the qualities of an oil. I love acrylic because it is so versatile- it can do almost all the effects that other mediums do.

I have also put up a photo of my set up so that you can see how I go about these transformations.

This one went thus:

1.Direct transfer of the sketch to the canvas board, that had been primed with a warm grey colour.

2. With the slow dry medium, I went about this one with very light glaze sketch strokes till I had enough information on the canvas.

3. With the simple formula of light washes to darker washes I built up the layers making sure I kept all the strokes free and loose. This method is often used in watercolour paintings.

4. Then when I got to the lighter parts that had the most light, I introduced some impasto gel medium into the paint mixtures to help with the heavy build of such areas.

5. The background was very important in this piece because I wanted it to have a sort of direct effect to the past events in his life that have sparked bitterness in this his heart.

6. Before completing I turned the piece upside down and just painted the abstract qualities of this piece -tying the strokes together to help the overall design.

7. Then I flipped it over and signed it before further ruins.







11 comments:

Fábio Cembranelli said...

After all that work you've achieved a stunning painting. Beautiful colors and composition!

adebanji said...

Thanks Fabio!!

AC said...

I like very much your idea about the background.

adebanji said...

Thanks AC!

artbyakiko said...

This is fantastic! Your paintings get deeper and fuller in terms of the representation of nonphysical part of life. Wonderful job on this painting, Adebanji.

adebanji said...

Thanks ever so much Akiko!

Anonymous said...

Hmm! you are very talented, keep it up!
check out my blog-(leave a comment pls)
'blackspace and milan'

David Larson Evans said...

great color combination.

Unknown said...

I really like how the man seems to be just emerging from the background. As well, you have done a masterful job of the soft and lost edges. The colors are wonderful. Subtle, yet brightened with those touches of bright yellow... really a lovely painting.

Stefan Nuetzel said...

It is great that you show and explain us your process. Very inspiring. You have created such a wonderful mood in this portrait.
Cheers from Vienna.
Nue

andres casciani said...

very good solours here! nice work!