Tuesday, 6 July 2010
This is another transformation of my sketches to colour. I worked from memory with some notes I added on my sketch.
Here I used this sketch as a springboard and went a bit wild with my imagination.
This is how I went about it.
1.I sketched the face on a lightly ochre/brown washed toned surface, with a mixture of Terra Rosa and ultramarine blue.
2. Working this way brings an immediate harmony to the piece as the browns and ochers quickly form a warm colour scheme.
3. Then I used very light washes of skin tones to throw the interplay of light and shade on her face.
4. After this I used a very small sable rigger to put the main features in with delicate touches.
5. Now, I added in the dark "hoody" she had on, and the light beige jacket she was wearing, after this it looked OK and I thought it was fine and finished. I had left the background as the initial wash of ochre/brown, but it didn't bring out her face, there was some sort of clash.
6. So I decided to darken the background, that helped a bit. Then I did a bit of
scratching back with my Biro to enhance some lines and her hair.
7. Then I introduced coloured pencil marks when the piece was touch dry. This helped to spice up the value balance and add a varied mark to the oil brush-strokes.
8. Finally I added more wild strokes with my coloured pencil to spice up the background, so it would have a spontaneous effect that goes along with the title I planned to give the piece.