Monday 13 April 2009

Sweet Memories, 7" x 10", coloured pencil on cardboard, 2009

This is another transformation. I sketched this guy way back last year. He was a black man, so to make this look a bit interesting I decided not to use any of the brown family of colours on this piece.





This was pretty straightforward.

1. Started sketching on a beige mount board with purple coloured pencil

2. Make sure I am satisfied with the drawing, proportion and features

3. Just start to add different colours (all colours apart form the browns) really with no particular order, only that I make sure that it has enough tonal balance through out, putting dark colours for the dark tones and light colours for the light tones.

4. I really start enjoying this and I begin to stroke with some freedom just adding a bit of expressive strokes to "jazz" it up!

5. It is at the very end that I introduce a black coloured pencil to enrich the main sketch lines and outlines of the man.

7 comments:

L.Holm said...

Fantastic work! I love the myriad of colored pencil marks building the form.

Jennifer A. said...

I like the enrichment with the black colored pencil...you're really good! :)

Jala Pfaff said...

This is fantastic! The color, the expression...

Gary Keimig said...

very nice sketch work. You have a real feel for what you are doing.
God bless and keep it up

dominique eichi said...

This is so full of life............. Beautiful.

AC said...

This is really great, the colors and the idea!

I am only now starting consistently to make sketches and seeing your work is very encouraging for me to see the future possibilities of my sketches.

Oana Roxana said...

I like this one the most. :D
It's giving me the feeling that life is simple.