|The Dream, 8" x 10" Oil on Board, 2013
If you would like to purchase this work, you can click HERE
|The Original Sketch for "The Dream"
Here's how I went about this one.
- I used my usual limited palette of 4 colours The Zorn Palette). (Titanium White, Cadmium Red, Yellow Orche and Ivory Black.
- I didn't make a preliminary sketch to start this one off, I was so inspired, I just went straight into placing large patches of colour on the surface to plan the way her face would be, value wise.
- Once I had all the large shapes placed on the board, I added the brief notes of a washy background.
- It was after this that I then sketched the features on the face tones. It was almost like drawing on a painted surface.
- I was working really fast without thinking most of the time but I really wanted this piece to have a sketchy feel.
- In someways it almost looks a bit flat but I made a bit of adjustments around the left side of her face, where the light hits her face.
- I did my best to keep this piece simple and you can see from the picture below how it looked while working on it.
|Work in progress on the easel