This is another transformation from memory.
This time I actually requested to sketch this homeless guy for an agreed price for just 5 minutes.
The sketch looked very brief but I worked on the colour transformation a bit more.
1. I used a canson orange paper
2. Started sketching with watercolour with a flat sable for the basic parts of this portrait.
3. Start under-painting of the whole face and other features with burnt sienna washes of watercolour and olive green.
4. I introduce chalk pastel with broad strokes all over the face and clothes to block in the initial colours
5.I then move on to wax crayons to add expressive strokes and tie up the structure and harmony of colour all over the piece. I love these wax crayons as they are less messy and reveal more of my passion for linear strokes.
6. I then finish up with a soft black oil base pencil to add more detail and recover some of the drawing that gets lost during the expressive wax technique.
7. Call it quits........